User Interaction Designer
£59-71k + Benefits
This is a great opportunity to join a winning team. We offer a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. Benefits for full-time, permanent members start on the first day of employment and include a paid time-off program and profit participation and stock purchase plans.
We are a team of builders. We call our employees members because all who join us are building their own company - one that has grown to 65,000 professionals located in 40 countries. Founded in 1976, it is a leading IT and business process services firm committed to helping clients succeed. We have the global resources, expertise, stability and dedicated professionals needed to achieve results for our clients - and for our members. Come grow with us.
Essential Skills and Capability
- Experience in implementing complex customer facing projects; not internal development, in an agile environment
- A significant amount of experience and understanding of front-end web design (HTML/CSS/JS)
- Meticulous attention to detail, logical working, and always delivering products of a high standard
- Experience of developing BDD and/or TDD products
- Prior experience with agile methodologies with enterprise-level application development projects
- Strong interpersonal skills including mentoring, coaching, collaborating, and team building
- Strong analytical, planning, and organizational skills with an ability to manage competing demands
- Strong knowledge and understanding of business needs with the ability to establish/maintain high level of customer trust and confidence
- Ability to support a progressive methodology to quality improvement
- Systems understanding – ability to reason about the system being built, what it is for and where its weak points could be
- Familiarity with the GDS Service Design Manual and GDS toolkits.
Essential Job Requirements
The main responsibilities of the User Interaction Designer role are:
- Encourage a culture of innovation focused on adding value - give people space to think creatively.
- Effectively capture, utilise and share customer insight and views from a diverse range of stakeholders to ensure better policy and delivery.
- Spot warning signs of things going wrong and provide a decisive response to significant delivery challenges.
Effective Decision Making
- Draw together and present reasonable conclusions from a wide range of incomplete and complex evidence and data – able to act or decide even when details are not clear.
- Push decision making to the right level within their teams, not allow unnecessary bureaucracy and structure to suppress innovation and delivery.
- Clarify strategies and plans, giving clear sense of direction and purpose for self and team.
- Confidently engage with stakeholders and colleagues at all levels to generate commitment to goals.
- Be visible to staff and stakeholders and regularly undertake activities to engage and build trust with people involved in area of work.
- Be open and inviting of the views of others and respond despite pressure to ignore, revert or concede.
- Actively build and maintain a network of colleagues and contacts to achieve progress on objectives and shared interests.
- Effectively manage team dynamics when working across departmental and other boundaries.
- Actively involve partners to deliver a business outcome through collaboration that achieves a better result for citizens.
- Seek constructive outcomes in discussions, challenge assumptions but remain willing to compromise when it is beneficial to progress.
- Clarify business priorities, roles and responsibilities and secure individual and team ownership.
- Act as a role model in supporting and energising teams to build confidence in their ability to deliver outcomes.
- Maintain effective performance in difficult and challenging circumstances, encouraging others to do the same.
- Support the Product Owner in managing customer expectations for project deliverables, managing stakeholder communications, and helping to implement an effective system of project governance; ability to work with stakeholders to document requirements as user stories.
- Exemplify positive customer service behaviours and promote a culture focused on ensuring customer needs are met
- Establish how the business area compares to customer service expectations and industry best practice and identify necessary improvements in plan
- Ensure the service offer thoroughly considers customer’s needs and a broad range of available methods to meet this, including new technology where relevant
- Demonstrates expertise designing interactions professionally for the web and mobile.
- Solid experience of web and mobile application interface design. Core skills: sketching, design production, hand-coded HTML & CSS, rapid prototyping.
- Experience working within an agile, multi-disciplinary team environment, and ability to deliver iterative design components (including user journeys) to the development team.
- Knowledge of BDD and/or TDD software development practices and processes.
- Sharing knowledge of tools and techniques with the wider team, both developers and non-developers
- A capable flexible team player, focused on removing blockers and delivering working software in line with the
The User Interaction Designer will undertake activities to ensure projects are delivered in accordance with the user requirements and any wider programme. During this engagement they will work as part of the project team following direction, guidance and approach set by the Delivery Manager (Scrum Master) and the User Experience Lead.
The designer will be required to:
- Produce a detailed set of wireframes/prototype to illustrate the user journeys for target users.
- Produce a permissions model, in conjunction with the Business Architecture and User Experience team, incorporate user account management into the user journeys and wireframes.
- Support the Business Analyst’s definition and iteration of user stories through the use of user research (personas, user journeys etc.) and wire framing.
- Ensure the Web products are designed in accordance with the appropriate standards, ensuring that key elements are built in from the outset.
- Collaborating with the User Research team produce the User Journeys that describe the product and the user interactions with it.
- Collaborating with the User Research team produce a Usability Testing plan to identify the design elements that need to be tested and how they will be delivered to the user researcher for testing.
- Disseminate expertise of how design decisions impact the usability of the system and the interaction with the wider reform programme.
- Communicate with a wide range of digital delivery disciplines both internally and externally.
In performing the role, the designer will be expected to use a high level of knowledge and experience of agile development approaches s to fit large, complex, mission-critical, enterprise-level projects and with the appropriate level of planning and provide the right balance of agility and predictability.
This role will involve extensive interaction with customers, senior stakeholders, management and third party sub-contractors. Strong analytical, organisational, and presentation skills are essential combined with excellent interpersonal and communication skills in order to manage expectations and issues effectively and establish/maintain a high level of customer trust and confidence.