My client, a growing engineering and cutting tools consultancy is requiring a technical sales engineer to use their technical knowledge along with sales skills (can be mentored / instructed) to provide advice and support on a range of mainly metal cutting tools and related products, for which a certain level of expertise is needed.
They assist clients with cost justification and cutting trials having built and created the desire for the client to utilise our knowledge, skills and experience to increase metal removal rates, raise productivity, create extra capacity or solve problematic applications which cause difficulties for the clients.
Clients are usually technical staff from engineering related organisations, such as aerospace, motor racing, pharmaceutical, medical or oil and gas OEM’s or subcontractors, however due to current skill levels within the industry our knowledge and ability’s often exceed those of the people we are dealing with.
The technical sales engineer is a key point of contact for clients as they must provide both pre and after-sales advice, liaise regularly with the client and with other members of the sales team and administration team and key suppliers.
The tasks carried out by technical sales engineers include:-
- Searching for new clients who might benefit from company products or services and maximising client potential in designated areas
- Developing long-term relationships with clients, through managing and interpreting their requirements
- Persuading clients that a product or service best satisfies their needs in terms of performance, quality, price and delivery
- Preparing & calculating client quotations and administering client accounts
- Providing pre-sales technical assistance and product education / selection
- Working on after-sales support services and providing technical back up as required
- Arranging and carrying out product demonstration / training
- Analysing sales to clients and sectors
- Preparing reports or updates Senior Managements as required and keeping customer records
- Meeting regular sales targets and coordinating sales projects
- Supporting marketing activities by attending trade shows, conferences and other marketing events
- Making technical presentations and demonstrating how a product meets client needs
- Liaising with other members of the sales team and other technical experts
- Helping in the specification custom-made products
- Providing results & feedback via test reports if necessary
- The technical sales engineers will usually split their time between the office and visiting clients or prospects with some work from home permitted, however the emphasis is to be client facing.
- The area to be worked will commence within 60 mile radius North and east of Bognor Regis but may occur in other locations deemed as the company’s territory where manufacturing companies are concentrate
- Entry requirements will vary however the successful candidate would be expected to have served an apprenticeship in a machine tool related environment where may have gained experience and knowledge of applying metal cutting related products in a production
- engineering or manufacturing industry. A combination of engineering related qualifications with some business studies would be particularly useful.
- You will usually need several years' experience in a related area and product/service knowledge.
a solid technical background and some sales skills (although this can be mentored)
good communication skills and proficiency with computers, smart phones & related business tools
sound judgement and good business sense
organisational skills and team working capability
the ability to build relationships quickly and effectively
analytical and problem-solving skills and resilience and tenacity
a full driving licence is essential for travelling to various clients.