Ever been to a pub where you feel like it's your home from home? The atmosphere's great, the booze is brilliant and the food is always tasty, hearty, innovative pub grub? Well, that's just the kind of place we specialise in creating and we're looking to recruit a passionate Sous Chef to help grow the kitchen team at our beautiful countryside pub.
We're looking for a super talented, highly motivated sous chef to work alongside and support our head chef in order to deliver consistently delicious food from our constantly evolving menu
- Take clear instruction & follow direction to deliver great pub grub.
- Be as confident preparing & cooking food as you are plating & expediting dishes for others.
- Follow recipes & portion specifications using established procedures & techniques.
- Control food preparation in consultation with head chef; oversee portion control; monitor food presentation, ensuring consistency & high standards throughout service.
- Be confident working with fresh ingredients as much as possible.
- Maintain a safe, secure & clean work environment by following standards & procedures; complying with sanitation & EHO regulations; oversee food preparation, safety, and security.
- Be responsible for managing the kitchen during absence of head chef.
- Be confident communicating with suppliers and placing orders with a strong understanding of stock control measures.
- Take pride in training up junior members of the kitchen team to a similar high standard.
- Communicate clearly and professionally with front of house staff and management team.
- Contribute to the creation of dishes on the Specials board & offer ideas for the biannual updates to our main menu.
- Be able to work well under pressure during high volume periods of trade.
- Strive to ensure we are as inclusive as possible for all dietary requirements & exceed expectations as to what we can offer customers
You should be a foodie at heart; passionate about working on a menu that makes our customers want to come back time and time again. If you've got previous experience of working in a busy kitchen, you'll be able to fit in fine and quickly learn all the aspects involved in helping to run our kitchen. You should be punctual, presentable & passionate. You should have a can-do attitude and thrive on a challenge. We'd love to know about your enthusiasm and your ideas, but most of all we'd like you to be a team player who puts the business first.
ABOUT THE CLIENT
A quintessential English country pub in a picturesque village just outside of Birmingham. Our client have 150 covers indoors & a vast acre of garden that can accommodate a further few hundred on a sunny day. They’re a small, family business with a big heart and cherish enthusiasm, dedication & loyalty. As one of the first pubs that started serving food in the 20th Century, they’re famous for pies & love exceeding customers’ expectations with the consistency of their menu & specials.
ABOUT THE ROLE
This role is perfect for an established sous chef who likes to have their own autonomy in a small but busy team, can support others and take direction; it might also appeal to an experienced junior sous chef who is looking to take a step up into a position of greater responsibility. This is a lynchpin role that oversees the smooth running of the kitchen and frees up the head chef to fulfil his duties too. We welcome applications from candidates who are interested in creating a dynamic and supportive working atmosphere for the whole team, who are keen to work towards the growth of sales for the business and who can be flexible to the seasonal shifts in the business. Work shifts are decided on a weekly rota and will be spread throughout the week and weekend; minimum 45 hours per week, straight shifts on working days. You will be required to work evenings, Bank Holidays and weekends, and also provide cover for fellow members of the kitchen team. Wage reflective of skills and experience, and subject to regular review based on performance.
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Starting rate £28,000, subject to review upon successful completion of 3 month probationary period.
- 28 days annual leave including Christmas da
- Pension scheme
- Staff discount
- Fortnightly tips