our client has an excellent opportunity for a Solicitor / Graduate Legal Executive to join a very well respected Agricultural team where you will be given the chance to undertake high calibre cases.
You'll work with specialists and well-known names in the Agricultural field, have a diverse workload and collaborate with the Commercial Property team on relevant matters.
Ranked in the Top 500, our law firm has a culture though that stands us apart from nearly all firms of our size. We are a people orientated business, have a reputation for nurturing & developing talent and a feel that you would normally only associate with a smaller firm.
We have exciting growth plans and so it's a great time to join and evolve with us as your career unfolds.
You will report directly to the Partner and handle a wide range of agricultural property matters.
This will mean focusing on business development as you will take a lead role in developing business networks and creating opportunities across the sector for this firm.
You'll work closely with lawyers in the wider Commercial Property team, providing comprehensive advice to clients who own agricultural property on instructions ranging from supporting land-owner clients buying and selling property, or promoting land for development by way of options or promotion agreements, through all aspects of management of rural assets, including tenancy issues and planning, to both the implementation of green energy schemes and the letting of land for these purposes. You'll also act for lenders to rural borrowers, wishing to offer agricultural land as security, but with one or more challenging factors.
This is a new role that has been created to help the Agriculture team manage their growing workload. There will be the responsibility of having a fee earning target and managing your own caseload, as well as attending networking events to attract new clients and grow your own client base.
Your key responsibilities
- Put client needs first and ensure that matters and cases are dealt with in a timely fashion
- Manage your own caseload and ensure that clients are updated regularly
- Draft leases, contracts and purchase agreements
- Meet with clients and professionals, both in the office and out on the farm or other professional offices
- Liaise regularly with Land Agents and accountants;
- Negotiate documents, review titles, do title investigation work; prepare certificates of title for lenders
- Attend team meetings and provide ideas on business development.
- Buying & selling land
- Promotion agreements
- Option agreements
- Asset management
- Energy schemes
- Financing, lending & securities
- Assist with land and boundary issues
- Help farmers plan for their successor to preserve the farming operation
- Keep up to date on environmental laws and the rights of landowners
- Build strong relationships with community members, especially local farmers
- Guide farmers and agribusiness owners in legislation and regulatory compliance
- Provide legal counsel to businesses and organisations
- Learn current issues that affect the agricultural industry, and what solutions are available.
- Either a fully qualified Solicitor, Graduate Legal Executive or a Trainee Solicitor specialising in Agricultural and Commercial Property work
- Knowledge and experience of property/land law in a rural context.
- An interest in and able to emphasise with the farming community.
- Knowledge of how farming businesses operate and how they structure themselves.
- Knowledge of Option Agreements/Development Land Options.
- High accuracy and attention to detail
- Good people management skills
- Exceptional client service skills
- Excellent drafting skills, a sense of commercial pragmatism and the desire and ability to build long lasting relationships with rural clients.
- A strong academic background and excellent written & verbal communication skills.
What we offer
- Competitive Salary
- Flexible Working
- 25 days holiday, bank holidays, Christmas shutdown period, plus the option to ‘buy and sell’ up to 5 days holiday per annum
- Contributory pension scheme from day 1 of employment
- Life Assurance
- Private medical cover
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Sick Pay
- Free Parking
- Fresh fruit provided daily in our offices
- Friendly company culture and a relaxed working environment with modern offices in Sherborne.