Software Safety Engineer
To £53K plus extensive benefits package
Due to the nature of this work all candidates must be UK Nationals. No dual-nationality candidates are permitted due to ITAR restrictions. Candidates must also currently hold or be eligible to hold UK Security Clearance to SC level or higher.
Required qualifications to be successful in this role
2-4 years of relevant experience, including:
- Engineering development (including software) and ability to understand software and hardware failure modes, causes and effects.
- Awareness of the implications of compliance to formal safety requirements and standards (e.g. IEC 61508, DO-178B or DefStan 00-56). Familiarity with hazard identification and analysis techniques, assurance/integrity levels, safety cases.
- Implementation of safety in IT systems, either through educational curriculum, design experience or in a safety engineer role.
- Understanding of the issues when using commercial software (COTS) in safety-related applications.
- Work experience in a safety-related industry useful
- Awareness of system safety/reliability analysis techniques
- High integrity / reliability design techniques
- At least one software programming language and software development methodology.
- Ability to relate to a multi-disciplinary team (software engineers, business consultants, trainers, commercial management)
- Ability to communicate safety issues effectively and with confidence internally
- High standard of written English
- Pragmatic approach
- Ability to work from our office in Leatherhead
- Appreciation of commercial issues
- Safety auditing
- Specific techniques, e.g: hazard analysis, FMECA, FTA, Event Tree analysis, etc.
- Ability to motivate less experienced technical team members.
- Security clearance, or the ability to be security cleared.
- Ability to promote a safety culture within business and company.
- Good time management.
- Multi-tasking ability - to support more than one project.
- Reliability, Availability and Maintenance considerations and analysis
- Health and safety aspects of project plans
- EC regulation, processes and other standards (CE marking, RoHS, CoC etc)
This role is based in Leatherhead and will require full time attendance at our Leatherhead offices. Also included is the opportunity for some occasional international travel to client sites, especially within Europe.
Your future duties and responsibilities
Our Space team is growing rapidly and has a particular need for Software Safety Engineers to assist with safety-related bids and projects within the Space business. This requires engineering expertise (involvement in the overall safety design solution and safety analysis of software systems), good communication (interfacing with both internal and external safety teams) and a strong emphasis on process (ensuring that safety procedures are followed during software development). We are therefore looking for talented professionals with proven technical ability in Software Safety to work with us in the space sector.
We offer a well-structured and secure organisation where you will have the opportunity to explore a variety of roles through your career. We value our active social activities at local and UK level, and offer support to your development through regular performance review. We offer training where needed, and as part of your on-going career development.
Your responsibilities for this role will include:
- Compliance with Project Safety Plan, based on appropriate standards.
- Supporting the preparation of system safety cases, and having these approved by independent safety auditor.
- Conducting safety analysis of IT systems.
- Internal justification of safety position.
With over 36 years in the industry, our Space Division is a rapidly growing business with exciting projects and prospects across the Navigation, Earth Observation, Satcoms and Spacecraft Operations domains. We currently have around 500 members working on projects in the UK, Germany, France, Italy and the Netherlands. We are seeking to expand our team of professionals with opportunities at a variety of levels to service our clients' needs and to explore and implement new business opportunities in Space.
Build your career with us.
It is an extraordinary time to be in business. As digital transformation continues to accelerate, we are at the centre of this change—supporting our clients’ digital journeys and offering our professionals exciting career opportunities.
Our success comes from the talent and commitment of our professionals. As one team, we share the challenges and rewards that come from growing our company, which reinforces our culture of ownership. All of our professionals benefit from the value we collectively create.
Be part of building one of the largest independent technology and business services firms in the world.
Software Safety Engineer
Software Safety Engineer