Based in North Wales this privately-owned steel fabrication and installation business has a solid reputation that has been built up over the past 30 years and is looking for an experienced Quantity Surveyor due to continual growth. The business has grown organically since its inception and now has a turnover circa £5m and over 35 members of staff across 2 sites. They are on track to have their best year to date.
The Company manage a number of large projects and work alongside some of the best-known contractors in the region. This would be a great position for someone who is experienced in the industry and would like to take on a new challenge and apply their skills, knowledge and experience on well-known, large scale projects.
My client is looking to employ a Senior Estimator ideally with a background within Structural Steel fabrication and installation. This cross-functional role would suit someone that has gained considerable experience in the structural steel industry
You will either have worked in a structural steel business previously or have considerable experience gained in the construction industry. The ideal candidate will be commercially aware, have the authority and confidence to be the key Estimator contact on a number of simultaneous projects, working alongside the Contract Managers, Workshop Manager and Site Managers to ensure that projects are delivered on time and to the highest quality.
What we are looking for:
A candidate who enjoys a “hands on” role with at least 2-3 years’ experience of working with Structural Steel and/or Steel Fabrication.
- Have proven experience preparing tender estimates
- Be proficient at negotiating contract terms and conditions
- Able to submit and agree interim valuations and final accounts
- Able to review and manage project accounts to ensure the most effective margins
- Be experienced in responding to tender documents and enquiries
- Been proficient at working with suppliers/sub-contractors to establish rates and sourcing costs as required
- Able to Specify materials, components and services in line with commercial, quality and H&S requirements
- Capable of managing the financial aspects of projects from start to finish
- Have a sound understanding of steel procurement and managing suppliers and supplier databases
- Cost manage projects through to final accounts
The duties for the role include:
- Including the procurement and management of materials and plant suppliers along with subcontractors and labour only operatives
- Full cost control of projects, management of contracts including project variations, production of applications for payment / invoicing and final account resolutions
- Control of subcontract and materials ordering/procurement including payments and payless notices.
- Responsible for estimating services providing detailed measures, including Bill of Quantities production
- Management of sub-contract packages on projects in a timely manner protecting the company's contractual position
- Protect the company's contractual position on all projects worked on
- Submission of accurate and timely payment applications, and chasing payment certificates and outstanding payments
- Ability to identify areas of overspend, waste and commercial risk, and be able to produce feasibility studies and cost plans
- Production of accurate internal cost reporting, in addition to producing final accounts, and extension of time claims
- Working closely with the production department, able to advise on commercial risks and opportunities within projects
- Price tender submissions
- Meet clients and attend site meetings to review and discuss work carried out