Open Source Integration Engineer
To £70K plus extensive benefits package
Due to the nature of this work all candidates must be British Nationals, and already hold or be eligible to hold UK Security Clearance to SC level or higher.
Essential experience required:
Our client is looking for Open Source Integration Engineers at all levels of career experience and would consider graduates with a science related degree (including practical computer programming experience) through to skilled software integration and DevOps professionals.
Applications are invited from individuals who have a solid Linux foundation, an enthusiasm for technology., and demonstrable experience in the following:
- At least one of: RHEL, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu
- Familiarity with the following core tools, or a desire to learn: git, ssh, Unix command line, browsers, Bash
- Some exposure to Azure Cloud is highly desirable
- Linux experience as a deployment platform and day to day development environment – e.g., can describe package management, networking configuration, log files, environment variables
- Deep Linux experience – e.g., can describe SELinux, chroot, ssh tunnelling, differences between Linux distributions
- Starting from scratch, and building on top of existing systems
- Web development and awareness of vulnerabilities and how to defend against them
- Experience of test-driven development and Automated testing of web applications
- Networking familiarity – e.g., can describe HTTP protocol, TCP/IP
- Experience of Hadoop or distributed computation
- Experience of automating software deployment
- Experience of network engineering including switches, taps and firewalls and pcap analysis
- Awareness of system and network security principles such as system hardening, log analysis or IDS/IPS
Job role responsibilities:
Specifically, you would be involved in technical tasks such as the following:
- GNU/Linux software customisation, configuration and integration
- Hadoop customisation and API integration and its configuration with Ansible and Ambari
- Implementation of bespoke NiFi processors using Java and integration with commercial security software
- Ansible deployment automation of software, upgrades and Linux configuration
- Robot Framework and Selenium based test automation for post-build and post-deploy health checks
- Bug and technical debt triage, trouble shooting and resolution
- Production environment change back-porting to our Git repository
- Enhancement of our Bamboo based build and continuous integration processes
- System performance analysis and improvement of multiple, high spec large clusters
- Third line support of production environments with our system administrators
In addition, the following form part of the broader role:
- Review, elaboration and accurate estimation of new requirements with our Product Owner
- Estimation and commitment, as a team, to deliver tested work every 2 weeks
- Development of work following strict ways of working, standards and levels of quality
- Regular presentation of progress and completed work to the team and the customer
- Stay up to date by following industry developments and be active in the Open Source community
- A drive to meet your personal objectives which are aligned to the business plan for the financial year
- Investment in your own skills development with support from the team and wider organisation
Our clients projects are based in their office or client site but may require travel to other locations. The successful candidate must be able and willing to spend time working away from home if required.
Our client develops, builds, and runs a cutting-edge Big Data platform for their own meaningful and strategic customer. They are heavy on automation, have great software engineering hardware, a mix of physical and virtual platforms and take on steep learning curves. They are delivering to their customer faster than they have experienced before and are motivated to improve the state of the art, for their customer, and for other engineers or consumers working on similar systems.
The team’s focus is a shared ownership and drive to achieve the customer’s goals. Our client aims for everyone to be involved in software integration, testing, deployment and operations. They all have direct contact with the customer on a daily basis, and the team can ask questions directly to ensure they build what is really needed. Everyone takes ownership of a customer ‘story’ from beginning to end. If you are interested in technology integration (as opposed to developing from the ground up), rapid prototyping, regular demonstration of completed work, creating sustainable systems, and thinking ahead but not over complicating for today, this will suit you. Being a part of a team which is jointly responsible for designing, integrating, building, testing, maintenance and on-going operations of the production platform.
About the company:
Our client is a global Tier 1 company involved in many leading mission critical projects. They are highly regarded within the industry and are one of the largest independent technology & business services firms in the world.
They consider employees as highly valued members of the business and offer extensive progression opportunities for those wishing to move further in their career on a local, national or global scale.