Infrastructure Project Consultant - UNIX
Slough, Reading, Newbury, Swindon, Bristol, Newport, Cardiff, Bridgend, Birmingham, Solihull
To £47K plus extensive benefits package
Due to the secure nature of this work, all candidates must be British Nationals and already hold or be eligible to hold UK Security Clearance to DV level.
Continued growth within our clients Project Services UNIX team has created an opening for an experienced Unix Project Consultant. Upon joining this team, you will have the opportunity to develop and gain new skills and progress your technical career.
Essential experience required:
You will need to have demonstrable experience working as a UNIX systems administrator (Red Hat, AIX and Solaris). You will also have strong familiarity with virtualization concepts (Oracle VM, VMWARE, AIX LPARS) coupled with good communication skills, both verbal and written. You will need to be a subject matter expert in your area of expertise to provide the technical skills required.
You must be self- motivated and able to work on your own initiative.
Job role responsibilities:
In your role as UNIX Project Consultant you will be responsible for the following:
- Provision/decommission of hardware into the Datacentre complying to DCM processes
- Cabling of servers following documented Low Level Designs and best practices
- Install / Patching /Firmware upgrades following documented Low Level Designs and best practices
- Provide Project On Call and perform Out of hours change work
- Provide documentation and information for Acceptance into Service to the BAU teams
- Mentoring to enable knowledge and skill transfer to less experienced colleagues
- Provide cost estimates on changes
- Liaise with 3rd parties to develop minor Low Level Designs in line with High Level Designs
- Identify Performance Issues
- Design & Test Disaster Recovery Plans
- Perform OS Install / Patching / Firmware updates in line with best practices
- Maintain security and documentation standards (ISO90001 AND ISO27001)
- Identify and assess technical issues and risks
This role is primarily office based, however there will be the need to work remotely, home based or at customers sites. Any required travel away from your base office will be expensed.
About the company:
Our client is a global Tier 1 company involved in many leading mission critical projects. They are highly regarded within the industry and are one of the largest independent technology & business services firms in the world.
They consider employees as highly valued members of the business and offer extensive progression opportunities for those wishing to move further in their career on a local, national or global scale.