HGV Team Supervisor
HGV Drivers (Circa x 40) + Agency Drivers
Head Office (Tamworth)
Between the hours 5.00am to 14.30pm Monday to Friday (flexibility required to meet business needs)
Day to day management of the HGV Drivers, ensuring they are engaged and empowered to meet the expectations and standards.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities – outcomes to be delivered:
- Leads and manages the team effectively
- supervise, organise, advise, motivate and engage a team, specifically undertaking: management of performance, discipline and grievance, timekeeping and absence management
- Carry out probation, performance and development appraisals as well as training and development for each member in the team.
- Recruit, develop and manage the team to enhance capabilities and support personal growth.
- Act as a positive role model, supervise, coach, lead and inspire those you work with.
- Assist in managing the relationship between warehouse and transport, ensuring that everyone is pulling in the same direction with the same objectives and goals.
- Day to day communication and engagement of all HGV Drivers.
- Perform daily de-briefs, documenting, recording and fixing any issues identified.
- Regular 1-2-1s with drivers.
- Conduct and chair the regular driver meetings.
- Conduct Tool Box Talk sessions to ensure that drivers are kept abreast of key topics.
- Develop and introduce ways of keeping the drivers constantly engaged and enthusiastic.
- Compliance and safety management
- Ensuring a safe, clean and environmentally compliant work environment and building a culture where safety is a first priority.
- Control the allocation of PPE / Work Wear to ensure that all drivers are safe, and maintaining professional appearance at all times.
- Arrange Driver Assessment training dates, ensuring their driving standards are maintained at all times.
- Arrange and manage all other necessary training to ensure the drivers are performing and meeting the high standards expected.
- Be the investigator for any road accidents or incidents which require Insurance company involvement.
- Manage the allocation of monies for all drivers who perform Nights Out.
- Ensure that eye tests are conducted and recorded twice yearly.
- Keep control of the recruitment agencies, ensuring agency drivers are properly inducted, including right to work in the UK.
- In conjunction with the driver, manage and control the return of empty pallets back into the business.
- This summarises key tasks and responsibilities and is not an exhaustive list.
Head office is a Smoke Free Site
Potential Progression Path(s)
HGV Driver Liaison Supervisor
Skills / Knowledge / Experience / Training / Qualifications
Assessed at the application stage. Also in the interview / telephone assessment and data entry assessment.
Proven history of HGV Driver management experience.
National & International Transport Management CPC Qualification.
Experience in operating effectively in a fast paced and bustling transport office.
Strong leadership skills with the ability to get the best out of everyone. The need to be firm but fair.
Ability to work independently and make decisions, but also be involved in Team work.
Good writing and communications skills
Proved experience of operating in a supervisory capacity with excellent people management skills.
Proficient report and presentation development skills
Key Role Competencies
Assessed at the interview/selection testing stage.
Ability to make decisions / Problem Solver
Has a strong sense of responsibility. Can think on their feet. Takes ownership of issues and seeks to find an appropriate solution. Has the ability to make sound and timely decisions.
Leads and Manages Effectively
Leads by example with strong work ethics. Motivates others and gains full respect of their team.
Demonstrates excellent listening skills and stays attentive. Communicates well at all levels, maintaining strong relationships with other departments within the business as well as external stakeholders.
Remains calm under pressure
Can manage multiple tasks well and when things don’t go to plan, they can remain calm and even tempered.
Dealing with conflict
Demonstrates ability to manage conflict in a way which is sensible, fair and efficient. Is a strong influencer.
Our Company Values
Assessed at the interview / selection stage and throughout the probation period.
‘Can do’ attitude, presents solutions, takes a pride in the workplace appearance and standards. Always happy to go the extra mile.
Gets involved, is committed and passionate about what they do and enjoys coming to work.
Make a Difference
Challenges the status quo (why do I / we do it this way? Drives continuous improvement (how can I / we do better, what else can we do?)