Global Practice Group Leader - Real Estate – Leading International Law Firm (US or Europe based)
Our client is a leading global law firm ranked among the top 20 worldwide. This highly reputed firm offers a full range of legal services and continues to expand to new horizons as part of its ambitious growth strategy. The firm has a challenging opportunity for a Global Practice Group Leader (GPGL) to be responsible for the worldwide Real Estate team, managing more than 500 lawyers present in more than 30 countries. The GPGL will act as a CEO/COO and report to the Co-Chairs of the Global Real Estate practice and to a small committee of global real estate leaders.
The GPGL will establish direction and planning, obtain partner input, and build consensus toward a strategic direction and the development of strategic objectives. Contributing to the development of the business, he/she will oversee the implementation of such strategic objectives ensuring they are accomplished. This constitutes a major role in the initiative to increase the Real Estate group’s economic performance.
- Day-to-day management of the global practice group, liaising with all relevant global firm departments including finance, human resources, marketing and technology and the real estate practices. Through functional area management, ensure that administrative support is carried out in the group in an effective and efficient manner.
- Financial and economic performance management of the practice, including: improving the billing and collection effectiveness of attorneys, increasing the group’s global profitability; reviewing and correcting (where necessary) the practice productivity with key partners; and evaluating and recommending partner compensation based on performance.
- As part of strategic planning, preparing the annual marketing plan and budget of the practice in collaboration with the practice partners and the marketing committee. The GPGL will make sure that marketing plans are implemented and regularly re-evaluated. He/she will routinely lead market analysis for the Real Estate practice competitors of the group.
- Collaborating on marketing initiatives and cross-selling activities, including participation in responses to Key Client Requests for Proposals (or RFPs)
- Overseeing part of the human resource management of the group, including monitoring recruitment needs, Interviewing and evaluating high profile lateral candidates, including a due diligence and review of their client base for conflicts and profitability issues.
- Working with the firm’s General Counsel and/or conflicts committee to resolve any conflicts of interest.
- Provide regular reporting to the global co-heads on finances, growth issues, management issues, and the implementation of business strategies.
- Developing and presenting practice group goals and objectives each year, with group members participating in the planning efforts, to the Firm’s leadership
- Ensuring appropriate coordination and communication among practice groups in collaboration with other Practice Group Leaders.
- Working to develop strategies for cross-selling and educating clients about the firm’s areas of expertise.
- Development of practice specific training programs and professional development processes.
- Conducting practice group meetings to discuss workloads, new matters, and to engage in general exchange of ideas.
- Establishing and ensuring quality work-product control polices and systems
- Measuring, evaluating, and reporting on group profitability issues on a quarterly basis. Where necessary, taking action to ensure short- and long-term profitability goals are met
- Leading the developing pricing strategies, including hourly rates and alternative pricing arrangements
- Financial analysis and management, ranging from reviewing extensive financial reports and helping the Co-Chairs to digest and analyze the information to developing and using client and matter profitability data;
Experience and Skills
Candidates should have at least 10 years of firm and/or practice management experience in law, Big4, or other relevant professional services sectors. Non-lawyers and Law firm business development professionals can be considered for this role; however, a mature, culturally sensitive lawyer with an MBA would be a model match.
The successful candidate will be management savvy with significant experience at an international level in a high profile leadership role. They will demonstrate such skills as marketing of professional services, growth of long-term client relationships, and profitable management of the delivery of professional services.
Fluency in English is essential and any other languages would be desirable.
- Motivation to treat the practice group as a valued client; proactive attendance to planning, implementation, and accountability measures.
- Interest in acting as a coach and facilitator. Leadership in today’s environment requires focus on building consensus and collaborative execution.
- Willingness to hold individuals accountable even though there is ambiguous authority. In practice, the GPGL will exude a brand of personal leadership and management techniques calculated to secure practice group members’ agreement on all aspects of the business
- Thoughtful understanding of the needs and nuances of developing plans that are effective and practical based upon the group’s inclinations, resources, and capabilities
- Enthusiasm to do the job, with a demonstrated firm-mindedness and a track record of “getting things done.”
- Entrepreneurial and forward thinking
The Global Co-Heads will be in regular face to face communication with the GPGL, giving constructive feedback on practice group plans, helping to set priorities, making resources available to achieve goals, and delivering specific performance feedback, including formal evaluations not less than annually.
The GPGL's compensation will be aligned with the best interests of the firm. He/she will be evaluated annually based on effort, including quantity and quality of time spent, and measured and appraised on how well the group has done. You should expect to be evaluated fairly and rewarded for achievement. If a lawyer/partner assumes this role they will not be expected to practice or log billable hours.
This position is for a proactive, open-minded, and highly flexible individual with strong professional ethics.
We are only accepting applicants – senior lawyer/partners or law firm business development experts for this role who have significant recent experience with a major global/international top 50 firm in a key legal market – for Europe those are capital cities – London/Paris/Frankfurt and for US New York, Chicago, D.C. California. We will not be responding to any candidates submitted without this top big law firm experience. We are looking for candidates coming from law firms such as DLA, Baker & McKenzie, Dentons, Hogan Lovells, etc. Top firms only please. No mom and pop firms.