Role Title: Field Operations Simulation Lead, 419030
Role Type: CONTRACT
Role location: Titchfield
Maximum Hourly Rate: £27-28/ hour
Fixed Margin: £4.80/ hour
IR35 Status: In Scope
Clearance: DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service) - necessary only upon offer
Duration of engagement: 6 months
CV’s due back: (strict deadline as these have to be submitted through a portal) Thursday 5th September 2019, 12pm
TYPICAL ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
As a member of the Statistical Design Team, you will be responsible for leading the work on the Field Operations Simulation, a discrete event simulation modelling operation and used to inform resourcing requirements and predict patterns of response. This is a unique opportunity to model a large-scale logistical operation, driving much of the operational, statistical and financial decision-making. The post-holder will work on validating and updating some of the assumptions underpinning the current model, such as the time and distance travelled by officers between non-responding households, and implementing data from 2019.
This should produce the estimates of field staff hours, questionnaire and reminder letter volumes required.
For the first time, the activity will primarily be online, enabling us to have much more real-time response data during live operations than ever before. To make the most of this data and to drive the most efficient and effective use of resources, we need to be able to react quickly if response rates are lower than expected in certain areas. As the lead for the Field Operations Simulation, you will also produce the estimated patterns of response used to assess live return data and inform decisions.
You will work closely with key stakeholders from Field Operations and Data Collection Services teams, methodologists and the Data Science Campus. The role will include line management responsibilities for one or two research officers.
• Strong analytical experience, including a track record of breaking down complex analytical problems
• Excellent coding skills, preferably in Python, with experience of developing complex code and working with multiple large datasets.
• Good communication skills in working with senior officials and external stakeholders, with the ability to explain the results, context and impact in the delivery of analytical work.
• Experience of managing work, with appropriate planning and risk awareness, to deliver high-quality outcomes that give value for money.
• Ability to manage a team and prioritise tasks in line with organisational objectives
• Experience of working with discrete event simulations