As my clients legal firm continues to grow, the partner time being invested in business development activities and strategic planning has become increasingly stretched. They aim, however, to grow further and can identify a wealth of opportunities, and see areas of the market where the expertise and specialist knowledge that they can give is being poorly serviced by others. Business development is encouraged throughout my client's staff, but they need a strategist to work at Management Board level to coordinate and drive the business development activities to improve their market position and achieve financial growth.
My client has recognised that they need to recruit high calibre staff, both legal and non-legal and that they will probably need to train these individuals in their specialist areas. The business also looks to attract experienced specialists in core areas, or areas that complement them, to enhance their capacity for new work. My client is also serious about establishing themselves as an employer of choice, balancing stimulating and rewarding work with the demands of modern life.
If you are looking for a law firm who will provide you with the raw talent and bandwidth to really stimulate growth, then this may be the perfect opportunity for you. The fact that this is a relatively new role in the organisation gives you considerable scope to shape your contribution and make a difference.
Working with the Main Board, the BD Director / Head of BD will be given responsibility for:-
- Assisting the Board and key managers with the development of business plans and the strategic development of the firm.
- Using knowledge of the market, clients and competitors, to develop the firm’s unique selling points.
- Working alongside the IT Director to track and record business development activity and produce regular reports.
- Identifying and pursuing, or aiding others to pursue, business opportunities to progress strategic aims.
- CRM, where you should be able to act as an internal advisor and challenger, and a key point of reference for partners and clients.
- Analysing CRM and client data to identify, and then target and win work from new and existing clients.
- Engendering a business development culture throughout the firm, where all staff recognise the role they play and working with them to increase profitability and maximise revenue.
- Overseeing the creation of stimulating and insightful internal and external marketing material, and working closely with their staff to ensure that they are making the most of this.
- Delivering and monitoring a comprehensive marketing programme, covering all aspects of the firm’s business with appropriate weight to achieve strategic goals.
- Developing and finessing the firm’s brand, and embedding this through all aspects of the business.
In the team, there is a Marketing Manager and Marketing & Business Development Assistant to work with you to achieve these objectives.
Skills and Experience
We are looking for an individual who first and foremost is personally credible – being able to combine a wealth of BD expertise across a variety of sectors/businesses and then apply your knowledge to bring value to my client. For this reason, you will already be an experienced BD professional with a strong track record in delivering high-performance work practices that have made a commercial difference.
You will also need to demonstrate the following skills and knowledge:
- Ability to use your insights to influence leaders and colleagues.
- Ability to work collaboratively when designing and implementing new initiatives to make sure those around you fully understand the reasoning, the vision for the future and what needs to be done.
- An ability to understand the workings of a professional services firm.
Behaviours that will underpin success in this role include:
- Driven to Deliver – to demonstrate determination, resourcefulness and purpose to deliver the best results.
- Innovative and Inspiring – with the ability to enthuse others to identify and grasp opportunities.
- Decisive Thinker – able to analyse and understand information quickly and use this to identify options, make recommendations and make decisions.
- Role Model - lead by example and act with integrity balancing personal, organisation and legal issues.
- Personally Credible – as mentioned, you will be able to combine commercial and BD expertise to bring value to the organisation.
- Skilled Influencer – you will be able to gain commitment and support from those you come into contact with, including those with pressurised client facing roles.
- Courage to Challenge – you show the confidence to speak up skilfully, challenging others even when confronted with a resistance of unfamiliar circumstances.