Why Recruitment is like fishing
Fishing has got to be one of the easiest sports out there, right?
Find your spot in the sun, bait your hook, cast off and relax, they said…
Only fishing isn’t that easy, and neither is Recruitment.
My father recently invited me to ‘spend a day in the sunshine by a lake stuffed with fish’ – what’s not to love about that?
What he didn’t say was that it would be raining all morning, I’d need to dig for my bait, I’d forget my chair, get no lunch and receive virtually no assistance or support for the next 6 hours or so, but……. and forgive the pun - I was hooked.
Much like fishing, Recruitment hasn’t really changed in a very long time, not really.
Sure, the market changes, as does the price of fish, but deep down, it’s still Recruitment and having the knowledge, experience and desire to put in the effort goes a long way.
My first day fishing reminded me in so many ways, of my first day in Recruitment.
What I’ve learned about Fishing (and Recruitment)
- Before you start, talk to the experts around you – they love talking – Free advice!
- Don’t waste energy casting to the other side of the lake - just move your spot
- Check your hook is baited regularly
- Once you’re ready, keep the noise down and just get on with it
- Not everyone likes fishing – especially the ones that can’t do it
- Don’t confuse advice with criticism
- It’s likely to rain – be prepared
- You’ll get the occasional bite, but you can’t catch them all
If you’ve recently become disenchanted with Recruitment, or work for a company that seems to have made everything less fun and unnecessarily overly complicated, you may benefit from taking a step back from the coalface in order to focus on the basics.
Recruitment isn’t all about job-posting, LinkedIn, data entry and GDPR. It’s meant to be about putting people to work and changing people’s lives for the better.
Oh, number 9 - Celebrate your wins!
With contributions from other TEAM business partners including ISV.Online Boomerang Funding, Green Umbrella, Westtek and more we think it’s perfect for those looking to make the most of their time
Paul Thompson - Sales Director